Type 1 - Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Abbott Freestyle Libre Flash

Posted 08-06-2020 20:10
    For those of you who are flashers and would-be-flashers - that is, interested in using the FreeStyle Libre FGM  (flash glucose monitor).

I use this FCGM and have just received an email from Abbott advertising resources for users. I am sure they are on their site and could be downloaded by anyone.The resource is called "Tips and Tricks". It can be printed as a booklet or downloaded as a video.

I have not yet had a chance to have a look at it  but for those thinking about getting the Flash, it might provide useful information. For those just new to using one, you might pick up some helpful hints.

I think you just google Abbott Freestyle Lite Australia to find their site and information. 

------------------------------
    Rochelle

• 2.  RE: Abbott Freestyle Libre Flash

Posted 09-06-2020 11:34
    Hi all
    I have just started using the Freestyle Libre sensor/reader and so far, find it very good. I did obtain it using my Commonwealth Seniors Health card and Endo's approval.I think I originally got the CSHC because my wife and I couldn't get a pension after I retired, so I was then eligible for this card. It has been very good with the main benefits of cheaper prescription medicines eg. my scripts for insulin just cost around $5.50 ( I can't remember exactly the amount).
    I am going through a bit of a bad period with my blood sugar levels (with many high readings) but I'll eventually get on top of it with less carbs/or increased insulin but with this action I have to be prepared for my BSL plummeting to below 3. By the way, I frequently still do finger pricking so I am very pleased that there is only about a difference of 1-2 points in the readings.
    Also, I very rarely consult with my GP about my diabetes as I have a very good Endocrinologist at the Wesley whom I see every 3 months and is easily approached by phone.
    Keep smiling!
    Brendan

• 3.  RE: Abbott Freestyle Libre Flash

Posted 10-06-2020 11:43
    Hi  all,  just    having  my  say  regarding  Flash  monitoring.      I  have  had   type  1  for  59  years  now,  and  have  never  had  a  pump.   The  idea  of  some  device  attatched  to  my  body  has  just  never  appealed  to  me.     The  one  thing  about  diabetes  that  has   been  most    onerous  to  me  has  been  constant  finger pricking.  so  when  CGM  appeared  on  the  scene,  I  was  interested.   I  dabbled  in  Freestyle  Libre  on  and  off  for  a  while,  but  of  course  extreme   expense  soon  prohibited  that, Since  Flash  became  subsidised  for  pension  card  holders,,  I  have  adopted  it  fully.     In  my  opinion,   CGM  is  the  most  fantastic  advance  that  has  happened  in  diabetes  management.     I  loveit;  it  is  lifechanging.    I  dont  worry  too  much  about  absolute  accuracy,  and  I  will  certainly  adjust  insulindont  advocate  dose  and  how  much  carb  to  have  in a  meal  according  to  Flash  results.     I  am  not  saying  this  way  of  doing  things  is  for  e,  but  it  works  well  for  me.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Barry

Barry

• 4.  RE: Abbott Freestyle Libre Flash

Posted 11-06-2020 15:50
    Hi Barry, I can echo your words for Flash Monitoring. I am Type 1 for 40 years, and this Abbot Freestlye  Reader and Sensor has been  a most comfortable use for me especially the arrow on the reader telling me if my readings are going up down or online.  I also use finger pricking as well. 
    Kay

Kay

• 5.  RE: Abbott Freestyle Libre Flash

Posted 11-06-2020 20:00
    I agree with you Barry. Good on you for not getting too caught up with the exact accuracy of the sensor. Stress has quite an impact on health, so ACCEPTING that there is likely slight variations with the sensor compared to finger pricks is wise. Happiness is very important and if not doing as many finger pricks adds to your quality of life then that is great reasoning in my mind! 

:)

Michele 

• 6.  RE: Abbott Freestyle Libre Flash

Posted 11-06-2020 20:36
    Hi Michele Kay Barry and Brendan. I like your approach very much Michele. The Flash is one of the tools in our box of tricks to help us live well and manage as best we can.
    I am please to hear that others have also benefited from what the Flash has to offer.
    I particularly loved it today as we are working this week on clearing and repairing the "back fence" at our property, and being able to easily check constantly to see how BGLs were going with the mix of heavy and light work after a early 45min resistance class which sent my BGLs dropping like a stone was invaluable. I think I'd have needed a blood transfusion with all the finger pricks I'd have needed otherwise! 

Best wishes to all the happy flashers.

Rochelle

• 7.  RE: Abbott Freestyle Libre Flash

Posted 11-06-2020 20:45
    I infrequently use the sensors as they are very expensive. They are not subsidised for me as I don't have any concession cards etc... BUT when I do invest I enjoy the break from finger prick tests like Barry. They are a rare treat for me. 

• 8.  RE: Abbott Freestyle Libre Flash

Posted 11-06-2020 21:00
    I know what you mean Michele. I use to use them as a treat when I was travelling to make checking easier. I was so grateful when I qualified for the subsidy. I wish everyone who wanted to could use them. Is there much fingerpricking with a pump? I thought a pump might eliminate the need for fingerpricks.

Rochelle

• 9.  RE: Abbott Freestyle Libre Flash

Posted 11-06-2020 21:07
    Finger pricks are not reduced at all using a pump as you still manually put in every bolus based on blood sugar and the number of grams of carbs. It's only background insulin that's automatic. I actually do more finger pricks now on the pump but generally have much better control. 

• 10.  RE: Abbott Freestyle Libre Flash

Posted 11-06-2020 21:20
    Thanks Michele. Disappointing about the fingerpricking but good to know that you can get such good control. Its all swings and roundabouts I guess and it is getting the result you want that counts. Still getting there but keeping positive. Kind regards

Rochelle