Type 1 - Connect

View Only
  • 1.  What does everyone think about CGMs?

Posted 28-08-2020 00:04
    What does everyone think about CGMs?

------------------------------
    Live Your Life Community Team
    Natasha and Erin
    membership@diabetesqld.org.au

• 2.  RE: What does everyone think about CGMs?

Posted 29-08-2020 21:47
    I've tried a Freestyle Libre (ok, a FGM, not CGM) and would like to have subsidised access to one, but I don't have a concession card.   Also, I'm not happy about one of the conditions: " the person or family/carer has the commitment to actively participate in a diabetes management plan which incorporates CGM or Flash GM". 

If the plan is provided by an endocrinologist, I suspect I would be given a HbA1c target of 7 and my diet and insulin regime would be prescribed.  I aim for non-diabetic levels.

Jock

• 3.  RE: What does everyone think about CGMs?

Posted 29-08-2020 23:22
    Hi Jock
    I was not aware of this requirement. I thought you just had to get your GP to sign the form you get through the NDSS and have a relevant concession card. I have a GPDMP through my GP who is aware I use a FGM but it is not a strict condition in my plan. The plan is more about the general health checks and keeping cholesterol etc at the right levels. Most of my BGLmanagement is done with my CDE. I have ever been told I have to have a particular HbA1c or insulin intake by anyone. I have a guide of 4-8 BGL but aimfor HbA1c in the 6s. Insulin is based on carb counting. I don't have a lot of insulin but I also don't try to be in the non-diabetic range. I don't see how an endo or GP could change your levels if you are well and dont have a lot of hypos/hypers. On the other hand, If you have or have a fear of a lot of hypos or are hypo unaware, this would be a good reason for your endo/GP to recommend FGM for managing BGLs.

Maybe you can find an endo/GP/CDE who is more supportive of your approach to diabetes management.

Rochelle

• 4.  RE: What does everyone think about CGMs?

Posted 30-08-2020 22:27
    Thanks Rochelle.  I found the requirement on the application form but ok, I'm probably making too many unnecessary assumptions about a "plan".  I told my GP that I had tried a Libra but he said that I probably don't need it.

You're probably right - thank you.
    Regards,

Jock

• 5.  RE: What does everyone think about CGMs?

Posted 31-08-2020 09:41
    Hi Jock
    Disappointing to hear your GP is so unhelpful. We read so much about the importance of self-management and having a strongly supportive diabetes team to help us do this. I would keep pushing for it if you think you would find it beneficial for your self management.
    Good luck.
    Cheers
    Rochelle

• 6.  RE: What does everyone think about CGMs?

Posted 31-08-2020 12:14
    Thanks Rochelle, just to clarify:  My GP is very supportive and especially for my non-diabetic HbA1c target.   I guess because I meet that target, FGM isn't "clinically" justified.   I accept the increased risk of hypos.  His father (in 80's) is T1 and also meets non-diabetic targets with no side effects.

I was just testing which way my GP was leaning.  I'm not happy about my % in-range and he would probably support me if I used that as a justification.   I'll probably try that when/if I get a medical concessional card.  Maybe by then, Libre will have a BGL alarm.

I think you are right about the meaning of "plan". 

IMPORTANT TO ALL:  I don't want to influence anyone towards non-diabetic HbA1c - there are risks and its not recommended by endocrinologists or diabetic educators.

Jock

• 7.  RE: What does everyone think about CGMs?

Posted 01-09-2020 12:14
    Hi Jock

I'm been treated by a Endo not a Gp. When my dietitian suggested the DAFNE program last year, I asked my Endo( a professor) if it was something I would do. His answer was: you don't need it,  you're doing fine. 
    So not everyone find it important to do the course. 
    I have to guess all the time and I must say after 49 years, I seem to manage not too bad. Sometimes unexplainable highs and lows.
    Werna

• 8.  RE: What does everyone think about CGMs?

Posted 30-08-2020 09:39
    I think they're amazing.  I have been using a Dexcom G4 (because G5 needs a mobile phone which I don't use) for almost 4 years now.  I don't use a pump.  Best thing is, not the less frequent finger pricks, nor the discreetness, but peace of mind especially when I go to bed at night, that if I am heading toward a hypo I will be woken up by the alert and able to take action before I have a seizure.

For anyone thinking of buying a CGM, I can strongly recommend that although the cost ($810 for G4 - less for G5) of the receiver is not subsidised, it is well and truly worth the cost.  With the subsidies for the transmitters and sensors  it saves up to about $4,000 a year.  My first receiver lasted almost 3 years.  Will definitely be upgrading to the G6 once sensors and transmitters are also subsidised and I need to replace my G4.

Cheryl