Type 1 - Connect

View Only
  • 1.  What keeps you up at night thinking about your diabetes?

Posted 06-01-2022 11:21

What keeps you up at night thinking about your diabetes?

------------------------------
    Live Your Life Community Team
    Natasha & Erin
    community@diabetesaustralia.com.au

• 2.  RE: What keeps you up at night thinking about your diabetes?

Posted 07-01-2022 15:04

I have had Type one IDDM for 36 years, on a Medtronic CGM and pump for nearly seven years. I love it!  Just this week, I had to go for 24 hours before I could replace the sensor, and I remembered how hard it is to guess what is happening.  I love being able to look down at my waistband pump, and see what my glucose level is. 

Having said that, I do find that the CGM runs low on the 1st and 5th/6th nights sometimes (supposed to last 7 days). I wake up, see that it is reading say 3.6, and I know that I am not at that level.  It is a sensor error. But can I get back to sleep, knowing the cost of my being wrong? So feeling irritated, I get up and do a BGL.  My self assessment is proved right again, (say it is 6.3), and I go back to bed so crabby I cannot get back to sleep for ages.  

I know now to note when the CGM readings are always 'under' the BGL's rather than at the same level; not reading incorrectly, but just lower than before.  On those nights, I turn the sensor off and run the risk of a surprise hypo.  So far, no surprises, and better sleep. 

BTW, Natasha and Erin, thank you for your work on this site.  I have not contributed for a while, but always read the various posts each day. Great stuff!

John