Type 1 - Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Libre support

Posted 01-01-2022 21:21
    Hi  team T1!

I was diagnosed with T1 21 years ago, just after the birth of my second child. I was 24 years old. I've used Libre for the last 1/2 years - my fingertips are loving the respite as I'm a cellist & classical string instrument teacher. I have returned multiple defective sensors (as they stopped working before their 14 day lifespan) and been sent replacements with no problems after phoning the Freestyle hotline. Sometimes the phone person requested that I return the faulty dead sensor for checking - I happily did so each time, in the box they  supplied.

This week, a sensor died way before the designated time (8 days before it's expiration). When I called the Freestyle number, I was put on hold and the person I spoke to came back and said that my (Android) phone (which I have always used as my reader since using Libre) was not on their tested - and therefore approved - list of phones to use, therefore they would not replace this sensor. Luckily for me, my fab husband was home when I called and he talked them through why my phone met every listed standard on the Freestyle website (it's not an expensive phone, but it does have the tech required by the website to successfully enable my access to the system. He respectfully talked with the person until they agreed that the company should replace the sensor - but they said this would be the last time that Freestyle would.

I'd love to have a wider understanding of this issue. What are your experiences with Freestyle re product regulation and support? I would so love to hear other peoples' stories. Thank you so much in advance!

My kindest regards,
    Leanne

------------------------------
    Leanne

• 2.  RE: Libre support

Posted 02-01-2022 09:19
    Hi Leanne

I have been a T1 for 54 years diagnosed at 16 and use Libre Freestyle occasionally basically because of the cost.  I order 3 boxes each go and the last 3 all failed they were all from the same batch.  The first fell off after 10 minutes, the second wouldn't read and the last one fell off after I played Croquet for a couple of hours in the heat.  I rang the hotline and spoke to a gentleman in India who was very obliging and after the usual questions he sent me two replacements.

Because I don't have a government healthcare card, hubby earns too much on his pension, I have to pay full price and they are not available to me at the pharmacy.  At $92.50 each I expect them to work each time, however the customer service was very good this time, I will wait with interest to see if the problems happen again and I get the same support.

Kind regards
    P2 in Shoal Bay, NSW

P2 in Shoal Bay, NSW

• 3.  RE: Libre support

Posted 03-01-2022 06:41
    Hi 

I have been using the Freestyle Libre for about 3 e now. At first I had some issues such as failing to read when I put them on and occasionally just plain falling off.

Failing to read after they are put on may be due to small amounts of blood around the  sensor probe. Don't give up - one of mine took nearly 30 hours for it to clear enough to start reading correctly.

Falling off I have now solved by wearing a post op dressing ( Asgard 6cm X 7cm film island dressing ). Abbott say you shouldn't cover the hole in the top of the sensor. Mine are covered by the gauze part of the dressing and don't give me any problems. I spend a lot of time in my pool during the summer and sometimes need 2 dressings to get me through the 14 days. In the cooler - not in the pool months - I often get away with one dressing for the 14 days.

Frankly these sensors can be a pain but the advantages vastly outweigh the problems.

I use the Freestyle Libre reader and sometimes check the reading with a finger prick reading. Close enough to trust it. And frankly if you don't trust the readings what options are there ??

My iPhone SE is not supported by the phone app. Another thing to carry around wherever I go !

Paul
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass ... it's about learning to dance in the rain!"

• 4.  RE: Libre support

Posted 04-01-2022 09:31
    Happy New Year to Everyone
    those who have problems keeping CGM or FGM attached could try the patch covers sold on line by Not Just a Patch. They have a number of products and the patches comes in a range of colours including neutral. 
    I have a Dexcom G5 and have used Libre in the past and have not had a problem with adhesion. I got the patch covers for the Dexcom as it sits higher above the skin and is worn on the stomach so I wanted to reduce the chance of it getting caught on clothing etc. but have only used it once or twice as the CGM adheres well and is quite robust.
    They are around $25 I think for 20.

Rochelle

• 5.  RE: Libre support

Posted 04-01-2022 20:49
    I've tried 3 brands of patches for use with Libre sensors. Know that I do work out on my treadmill regularly and am also a little clumsy, so durability is a priority...
    1. Not Just a Patch (clear patch edges lifted well before the 14 day sensor lifespan and looked awful)
    2.  Rockadex (stretched when applied - so never adhered properly). Company was not helpful when I phoned them.
    3. Type Strong - by far the best for me - they adhere really well, don't hurt to remove and still look good towards the end of the 14-day sensor span. 
    Leanne

***************************************************************************************************

IMPORTANT: This email and any attachments may contain legally privileged, confidential or private information, and may be protected by copyright. You may only use or disclose this information if you are the intended recipient(s) and if you use it in an authorised way. No other person is allowed to use, review, alter, transmit, disclose, distribute, print or copy this email and any attachments without appropriate authorisation.

If you are not the intended recipient(s) and the email was sent to you by mistake, please notify the sender immediately by return email or phone, destroy any hardcopies of this email and any attachments and delete it from your system. Any legal privilege and confidentiality attached to this email is not waived or destroyed by that mistake.

The Department of Education carries out monitoring, scanning and blocking of emails and attachments sent from or to addresses within the Department of Education for the purposes of operating, protecting, maintaining and ensuring appropriate use of its computer network. It is your responsibility to ensure that this email does not contain and is not affected by computer viruses, defects or interference by third parties or replication problems (including incompatibility with your computer system).

The Department of Education does not accept any responsibility for any loss or damage that may result from reliance on, or the use of, any information contained in the email and any attachments.

***************************************************************************************************

• 6.  RE: Libre support

Posted 04-01-2022 11:13
    Hi I have used the Libre for 2 and a half years now and only had 1 actually fail  before the 14 days which was replaced by Abbots. I did knock one off once against a door jam but that was my fault. My phone also doesn't support the app so have not progressed to the version 2. I like using the reader as it also doubles as a a glucose and ketone reader of the optium strips so all the data is stored in one place. I do a download from the reader onto my computer about once a month to check the trends etc.

Judith

• 7.  RE: Libre support

Posted 04-01-2022 11:25
    Judith, you can also upload your data to LibreView ! This has some nice features and you GP, endo etc. can have access added so that they can monitor you numbers.

Paul
    "Do flat-earthers believe that other planets are also flat?" Oliver Markus Malloy

• 8.  RE: Libre support

Posted 06-01-2022 06:14
    Hi Leanne and everyone,

I have been T1 for 26 years and it was revolutionary when the CGMs were released, my fingers have never looked back. I initially used the Libre 1 system then moved to Dexcom G6 because I didn't have to scan the device and it would signal my mobile phone with alarms directly. I have recently moved to Libre 2 system because they now have alarms, longer wear time and I prefer to have the sensor in the back of my arm (rather than stomach).

However, my second sensor failed on the first day and using Libre support was a nightmare. I still do not have the replacement sensor and it has been over 2 weeks, so back to finger pricking. There will always be issues with the CGM sensors, but I have to say that Dexcom have been far better from a customer support perspective. I have called them any day of the week up until 10pm and their support in Australia locally is 24 / 7. Libre are only open 5 days 8-6pm. I have normally received replacements within 2-3 business days from Dexcom.

The support from Libre needs to improve dramatically or I am back to Dexcom, especially as I pay the full $92.50 a fortnight.

Good luck

Chad

• 9.  RE: Libre support

Posted 06-01-2022 10:33
    Agree that Dexcom 24/7 support leaves Libre for dead. Disappointing as arm placement is so much more convenient but the lower level of support puts me off Libre now.

Rochelle

• 10.  RE: Libre support

Posted 06-01-2022 10:59
    I have used Libre support quite a few times over the 3 or 4 years and have always found them helpful and courteous. If I have a faulty sensor it is usually replaced within 48 hours or so.

Paul
    "If you aren't making mistakes its because you are not adventurous enough."