Type 2 - Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Anonymous member post - Injecting insulin in public

Posted 10-09-2021 08:39
    I have recently started using insulin and I feel awkward injecting in public and try to do it secretly.

Question do you try to hide away when injecting in public or do you just inject wherever you are? Any tips for me?

------------------------------
    Live Your Life Community Team
    Natasha & Erin
    community@diabetesaustralia.com.au

• 2.  RE: Anonymous member post - Injecting insulin in public

Posted 11-09-2021 08:33
    Hi, if I'm out to an establishment for a meal, I don't make a big deal about injecting insulin.  I set up the pen with the recommended dosage, unbutton the top of my pants under the table, and inject into my lower tummy.  When I'm done I take the pen apart and cap the needle, and button the pants again.  However, if you're not comfortable with that, it's okay to find a corner of the room somewhere private. It's certainly nothing to be ashamed of but not everyone wants to undo their pants button below the lip of the table, even when no one is watching. Since I usually wear shirts that hang over my waistline, it doesn't bother me.

I'm looking forward to seeing what other people do when they're out and about.

Janet

Janet

• 3.  RE: Anonymous member post - Injecting insulin in public

Posted 12-09-2021 06:35

another thought ... it gets easier in summer-time with shorter pants or shorts; injecting into the thigh worked well for me.

• 4.  RE: Anonymous member post - Injecting insulin in public

Posted 11-09-2021 13:48
    I guess it depends on what you are wearing. If it's somewhere informal like a Tavern or Pub I'm usually in jeans and tunic tops so it is really easy to to lift the top and still be fairly unobtrusive in injecting at the table.  Sometimes I turn sideways as well if people are close by. If I'm wearing a dress it becomes a little bit more complicated so I usually withdraw to the toilets (which I hate doing) or duck back out to my car.  My husband hates me injecting no matter where I am, he leaves the room if he sees me preparing to inject.  I've never had any issues injecting in public.

Ursula

• 5.  RE: Anonymous member post - Injecting insulin in public

Posted 12-09-2021 06:25

My insulin was to be taken 10 minutes prior to eating (don't know if we are all the same). I would go to the Ladies Room, use a man's hanky to lay out on a bathroom sink, inject, then had a tiny vial from the chemist to put the spent needle in to. For me, that was much easier than injecting at the table though people did wonder why I disappeared :-).

• 6.  RE: Anonymous member post - Injecting insulin in public

Posted 12-09-2021 07:54
    I've been injecting insulin for almost 30 years, so when I'm out I inject through my clothes.  My diabetes educator says she teaches children to do that so they don't stand out.  It would be a bit hard injecting through thick jeans, so I would use above my waist, but thinner clothes, never had a problem.  My pen looks like an ordinary pen so most people are unobservant and wouldn't even notice.

Lesley

• 7.  RE: Anonymous member post - Injecting insulin in public

Posted 12-09-2021 08:41

It's easy for me living in a relatively warm place on the Gold Coast. I usually wear T Shirts or a loose shirt at most.

Having to wear many layers may cause more issues.

So when I need to inject at a meal or anywhere really, I just dial up the dose and then expose my tummy and inject.

I don't  care who sees, but it's so quick that most people don't notice. Also I don't make a big deal out of it and don't do it furtively, looking around who might see.

For me it's part of usual life.
    Cheers,  Michael.

Michael Type 2 DM 15+ years. Meds and Insulin.
    Retired Hospital Pharmacist.

• 8.  RE: Anonymous member post - Injecting insulin in public

Posted 12-09-2021 16:07
    I have been a Type 2 for 40 years, often inject when I am out and about. Either in lower stomach or upper thigh. Don't make a fuss about it; I carry a little kit with insulin pen and sufficient needles for the time I will be away from home.

James