Type 2 - Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Medication & minor operations

Posted 10-06-2020 15:25
    Hi my name is Judy and I am T2 diabetic, 65 years old, diagnosed about 4 1/2 years ago.
    My last HBA1c was 6. I am scheduled for a colonoscopy in a few weeks and was wondering what to do about medication while I am preparing for the procedure. I am on Metformin 500mg, 1 in morning and 2 at night.
    Thanks
    Judy

------------------------------
    Judith

• 2.  RE: Medication & minor operations

Posted 11-06-2020 05:01
    Judy
    The clinic will give you firm instructions on what to do. I have found that generally they will program you for early in the morning if you are diabetic. The night medication should be ok if taken outside the fasting period with only water, but check with the clinic. Take the medication with you to take once you are out of recovery

• 3.  RE: Medication & minor operations

Posted 11-06-2020 08:20

Hi Judith, 

This is definitely something to talk to your doctor about, what I did may be totally wrong for you!  I'm surprised the doctor doing the colonoscopy didn't tell you to do this, mine did!  

in my case I was told to bring all my meds with me to take afterwards. My friend was told to take them as normal. I think it depends on what you are on and the dosage. 

Wishing you well for the procedure. 

Tonia

• 4.  RE: Medication & minor operations

Posted 11-06-2020 22:13
    Hi Judy
    I had both Colonoscopy and Endoscopy in Mid March, at the time of the booking I got a booklet with all the info.
    In there all the information about the tests to be performed, being Diabetic I was the first one taken in.
    One specific medication was not to take Aspirin tablets, I think 3-4 days before test.
    I suggest you contact the clinic, you have to fill in form, and the time when they give you details on what to do.
    All the best

Antonio

"Enjoy life while you can, nothing lasts forever"