Type 2 - Connect

View Only
  • 1.  In pursuit of the Holy Grail

Posted 18-09-2020 08:54
    In spring Circle there is an article In pursuit of the Holy Grail where 4 researchers who are currently researching Diabetes are highlighted. One of these is Dr Evelyn Parr at the Mary Mackillop Institute for Health Research at The Australian Catholic University  who is exploring how fasting can improve blood glucose and insulin responses in people living with type 2 diabetes.

What are your thoughts on fasting and Type 2?

Associate Professor Samantha Hocking at the University of Sydney Charles Perkins Centre mentions "current treatments for type 2 diabetes don't consider the individuals response to therapy or medication, so it is difficult to really know what treatment, diet or exercise regimen is best for the individual". 

What are your thoughts on precision medicine?

If you haven't read the article its on page 12 below.

Diabetes Australia - Diabetes NSW & ACT Circle Spring 2020 - Page 1 - Created with Publitas.com

------------------------------
    Live Your Life Community Team
    Natasha & Erin
    membership@diabetesnsw.com.au

• 2.  RE: In pursuit of the Holy Grail

Posted 19-09-2020 07:46
    Hi Natasha & Erin
    With regard to the effect of fasting with T2 I would advise that I am on medication  for my T2 and have found when I get a high reading, I do my checks before a meal, I forego that meal and that brings my BGL down. It's complicated because a high reading before breakfast means I go without and then with exercise, gardening, walking etc, my BGL will go higher at the pre lunch check so I skip anything to eat then. If I take it fairly easy during the afternoon my pre dinner check will be as low as 3.5 - 4.5. The more exercise I do, the higher my BGL goes. Overall it has supposedly done me good as I was 120 kgs a couple of years ago but now I average about 75kgs.
    Stay safe
    Robin

Robin

• 3.  RE: In pursuit of the Holy Grail

Posted 20-09-2020 11:07
    Hi Natasha & Erin

I am a T2 controlling it with diet, exercise and metformin XR in the evenings.  My morning, pre breakfast BGL reading is typically in the 4.8 to 5.4 range, rarely higher.  When I was working I occasionally had unplanned fasts when meetings went far longer than expected and I wasn't prepared with snacks in my pocket.  Whilst I wasn't in a position to test my BGL it definitely dropped to a low level because I felt crap and on what infamous occasion one of my colleagues asked me if my BGL had gotten too low because "you weren't making sense, but don't woory no one else noticed..."  So I would be wary of fasting as a blanket treatment.  It may be of use for some people depending on their level of control etc and should be tailored to the individual.

The other worry with fasting, and it worries me when I need to go for my quarterly fasting blood test is that my fasting BGL is often under 5.0 (say 40% of the time) and the Australian Driving Guidelines advise diabetics not to drive when their BGL is less than 5.0.  I asked my endochronoligist about this and she wasn't overly concerned in my case.  Of course that could have impacts were I unfortunate enough to have an accident and a blood test detected that my BGL was less than 5.0.

cheers
    Gary

Gary