Type 2 - Connect

View Only
  • 1.  The T2D drugs Roundabout......

Posted 31-12-2021 21:36
    Edited by Greg 01-01-2022 05:37
    When I was diagnosed with T2D, my then GP wanted to prescribe Metformin immediately.

My Hba1c was 8.1.

When I checked this drug on the internet, I found that it was Not recommended to be prescribed to anyone taking certain medications, which I was at the time.

This mistake by my GP did nothing for my confidence about the care he was dishing out to me, and so I began to question everything, and research everything that he prescribed or suggested to me.

Then, last year, I was to be a primary carer for my older sister, who among other things, was also living with T2D, and was taking about three to four different drugs, just for her T2D condition.

When I researched the internet with her, we found that each T2D drug that she was taking, had at least one or multiple side effects, and that she was then needing further medications, over the counter or prescribed, to remedy each reaction.

In addition, because she relocated to our residence location for several months, she needed to change her GP.

What then happened.... her new GP questioned Why she had been prescribed a certain drug.
    My sister replied along the lines of, "I've always taken this drug in the past, because my previous doctor said so".

So, of the thirty or so different drugs she was taking, both prescribed and over the counter, many were discontinued.

From this experience, I have learnt to be diligent, and I try to find out as much information as I can, to understand why my doctor would prescribe a certain medication to me or my sister/ loved ones.

I don't think I can ever be comfortable doing anything different.

Cheers,
    Greg

------------------------------
    Greg

• 2.  RE: The T2D drugs Roundabout......

Posted 01-01-2022 12:58
    Hi, I was diagnosed in 1997 and put onto Metformin immediately.  My Hba1c was 8.2!  Then in 2007 a diabetic nurse insisted I needed to go onto insulin injections as my Hba1c wouldn't come down below 8.00. 

I started off on 6 units of insulin twice a day.  But today I am still on Metformin twice a day plus insulin injections 20 units in morning and 14 units in evening.  This website has opened my eyes to research my own Type 2 insulin resistant treatment especially after reading  Greg's post.

I have asked my GP to help reduce my insulin.  In order to do this I asked to be put on Ozempic injections once a week which seems to be reducing my blood glucose levels.  Four weeks into Ozempic I'm hopeful that my insulin will be reduced slowly.  My endocrinologist never offers any change in treatment for me!

The lesson learnt here is that I must take a proactive approach to my own treatment, ask questions and be well prepared before each medical appointment.  I thank this website's forum for opening my eyes to include my own research.

Lyndall