Type 2 - Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Go hard go early on diets - CSIRO

Posted 16-09-2020 08:44
    The CSIRO have a program specifically for people living with prediabetes and type 2 diabetes.

Has anyone tried it?

They have done a study of 22,000 members and found that those who start hard early on diets are more likely to lose the weight and keep it off. Would you agree with this?

Both an article on the study and the diabetes specific CSIRO diet can be found below.

CSIRO's diet advice: Go hard and go early
    7NEWS.com.au remove preview
    CSIRO's diet advice: Go hard and go early
    Australia's national science agency says those wanting to shed a few kilos for summer - and keep them off - should prepare well and start as they intend to finish.
    View this on 7NEWS.com.au >

Prediabetes and Type 2 Diabetes | CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet
    Total Wellbeing Diet remove preview
    Prediabetes and Type 2 Diabetes | CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet
    Losing weight with a healthy diet and by being active is the best course of action to prevent prediabetes from developing or manage Type 2 diabetes. That is why we, in partnership with Diabetes NSW, have developed the Special Edition for Prediabetes and Type 2 Diabetes program.
    View this on Total Wellbeing Diet >

------------------------------
    Live Your Life Community Team
    Natasha & Erin
    membership@diabetesnsw.com.au

• 2.  RE: Go hard go early on diets - CSIRO

Posted 17-09-2020 07:45

I sought information from CSIRO in June this year - and was corresponding with them but don't have the courage to begin. It is basically a high protein diet so for me, with kidney issues, I am restricted on how much protein I can eat. Can any dietitians at Community Team advise? And living on my own, would I have to do more than basic cooking?

• 3.  RE: Go hard go early on diets - CSIRO

Posted 18-09-2020 06:24

Hi Miriam, 
    I understand your concern, I have been doing the CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet for 7 months, have lost the weight I wanted to and have better kidney results on My blood tests!  (my kidneys are not good but not serious). All my other numbers are much better, blood sugar, cholesterol, blood pressure and of course my weight 

They have a range of diets you can choose from but the amount of protein in the Protein Plus diet is not Huge. They also have a dietician you can talk to. 

it is the best way to lose weight that I have ever found and at 77 I've tried a few!  Lots of vegetables and a really well balance healthy way to eat. I'll be doing this for the rest of my life, just adding some more carbs to keep my weight where it is. 

There is also a fantastical supportive Facebook page that I would recommend.

Best wishes!

Tonia

• 4.  RE: Go hard go early on diets - CSIRO

Posted 18-09-2020 08:29

Hello Tonia, this is encouraging to read, thank you. My eGFR range is between 19 and 10, goodness knows why the fluctuations. This year I've had an AV Fistula, in preparation for what docs say is inevitable - still I hope not! I too am 77 and tried most diets on the planet, I think they would work if I stuck to them. I must make more enquiries of CSIRO :-).

• 5.  RE: Go hard go early on diets - CSIRO

Posted 17-09-2020 11:10
    I have started the CSIRO diet on Monday. I am finding it excellent. The meal plans are very easy to follow and very delicious. I was able to access this through my Health Fund CBHS. They have approved 24 weeks of the diet and all online tools which are excellent. This is of no cost to me as I am in top cover and have diabetes, high blood pressure and cholesterol. So worth checking with your health fund to see if they offer anything towards it.
    The online tools also have very good exercise plans as well.
    Included  in my package from the Health Fund is also 15 phone consultations with a dietitian. This is great as it is helping me and keeping me motivated.
    I would highly recommend this to you all. My readings over the last couple of days have been very improved.
    I will keep you posted on how I am going.

Gayle