Type 1 - Connect

View Only
  • 1.  No carb day

Posted 29-07-2020 06:46
    Hi For a couple of days now I have tried a low carb/no carb day after listening to Dr Sheila Cook’s talk on the low carb diet for diabetics and wondered why my sugars went right up to 15-16 in the afternoon and also a bit high in the night. I had to keep having little top up units.
    It’s so frustrating as I thought that it would have been low and steady all day. I exercised and was calm.
    Any answers please.
    Marguerite

Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: No carb day

Posted 29-07-2020 08:08
    I think that when on low carb sugars can go haywire because the insulin dosage is much closer to what the body needs to run without processing food. So any carb at all, or anything that can be converted to a carb or act like one,  alters the blood sugar in a greater way because there is almost nil insulin to utilise the carbs ingested but not necessarily counted.
    Most food has some carbs and that is where the "law of small numbers" as Dr Bernstien puts it, comes unstuck if you are not careful counting the carbs.
    Take a look at what you are eating and see if there are any carbs, and how much, especially in total.
    I find that when my sugars get significantly out of range it takes half a day to get them back in range.
    The problem: Too much fat at a meal? An autoimmune inflaming food? Over sugaring a hypo? Not enough exercise? Biorhythms affecting blood sugar? Something else?
    I don't know.
    Read dr B's book. It might help.

------------------------------
    Cheers
    Cris

• 3.  RE: No carb day

Posted 29-07-2020 10:32
    Hi Chris
    Thank you and I have been listening to Dr Bernstein so will learn and adjust.
    Marguerite

Sent from my iPhone

• 4.  RE: No carb day

Posted 30-07-2020 11:31
    Hi Marguerite,
    it isn just carbs that raise your blood sugar, but the protein in carbs as well, which you need to bolus for. Dr Bernstein's book will teach you about this and what type of insulin may be more effective in tackling  the delayed rise that comes with protein. He also gives suggestions about how much insulin to take per so many grams. Fat however doesn't significantly effect blood sugar, which is why many diabetics find keto so effective.

Belinda

• 5.  RE: No carb day

Posted 31-07-2020 07:07
    Hello everyone.

While it's true that fat doesn't affect BGLs,  fat will slow down the absorption rate of carbs in the digestive process.  This can show as a small rise and then fall, followed by
    a high two or three hours later.  Split insulin doses are needed to handle it.

If you're thinking of going keto or very low carb, your body will have to learn to burn fats as the primary fuel source.  It needs to readjust to a new way of eating.  It's a good idea to talk it through with a professional first.  Remember, if you cut any food group out, you must make sure you are still getting all of It's goodness from another source.

Cheers,
    Leanne Jones

• 6.  RE: No carb day

Posted 31-07-2020 21:54
    Thanks Leanne for this simple explanation of the impact of fat. I do have fats and oils from nuts, avo, olive oil etc and generally find them no problem but find that protein can have a similar impact and increase BGLs some time after a meal. THis became more noticeable when I began increasing protein in my diet throughout the day. Any change takes some getting use to and I think any radical changes need to be undertaken with professional help as the changes to BGLs can become quite stressful to manage by yourself. ( By the way, I am not a low carber. I find I need the carbs for energy)
    thanks for your input.

Rochelle