Type 1 - Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Hypos

Posted 07-10-2020 10:36
    When I get very low, say 3.0 or less, I get these very strange, but lovely, amoeba-like shapes appearing before my eyes.  They look like a bright light with multi pastel-coloured blurry outlines, slowly moving and changing shape, eventually filling my range of sight.  It usually starts in just one eye and then both.  Fortunately this feeling passes very quickly once I have some sugar.

Also, occasionally I might start to write something and although I don't feel shakey, I notice the pen shaking and I can't write properly.

With both of these symptoms I now know it's definitely a hypo, so I don't have to check my bgl.  Fortunately, with my CGM I now hardly ever experience low bgl's.

Virus-free. www.avg.com

• 2.  RE: Hypos

Posted 08-10-2020 07:39
    Now I wear my Dexcom 6 sensor I get warning alerts at 4.6 so I know if I am heading for a hypo. It has saved me so many hypos which I used to have a lot.
    A feeling of agitated emptiness. It’s hard to describe a hypo as you know as it changes over the years. I don’t get the sweaty face, tingly lips, confusion, shaking hands any more. They were things I felt years ago as I have been a T1 for 36 years now. After all these years you would think I would have a perfect level but it’s such an unpredictable condition. My twin brother died young of cancer so I am always grateful that I only have T 1.

Sent from my iPhone

• 3.  RE: Hypos

Posted 08-10-2020 09:14

The eyes seem to be good indicators for hypos. If I suspect a hypo coming on I close both eyes, put my hands over them if in bright light, and move my eyes firmly right to left and back a few times. If I see a large dim spot in both eyes I am dropping below 4.5.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

• 4.  RE: Hypos

Posted 11-10-2020 15:58
    I agree that eyes provide an early sign of low BGL.  My wife claims that she can tell from my eyes that I am hypo.  I've check with a mirror but my eyes look normal to me.

My eyes respond slower to changing light brightness which gives me an early indicator.  I guess my pupils are slower to open and close.

------------------------------
    Jock

• 5.  RE: Hypos

Posted 17-10-2020 12:04
    Hi Folks

I didn't want to admit it but....
    I start doing funny things. make jokes of everything,generally annoy my ever suffering wife and sometimes don't want to admit that I am low.
    For those of you that weren't sure I was nuts, now you know!
    I do get some of the other indicators too.
    Fortunately, now that I am on less insulin and carbs, lows are less severe.

Cheers
    Cris