Type 1 - Connect

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Food Swap - Bread

• 1.  Food Swap - Bread

Posted 04-11-2020 11:07
    Swap white bread for grain based, rye or sourdough bread as they are lower in GI and help you feel fuller for longer. 

What is go to white bread alternative?

------------------------------
    Live Your Life Community Team
    Natasha and Erin
    membership@diabetesqld.org.au

• 2.  RE: Food Swap - Bread

Posted 05-11-2020 08:24
    I buy low carb bread, which keeps me full and doesn't spike my blood sugar. The tastiest I have found so far is the alpine low carb bread from coles: https://shop.coles.com.au/a/fairfield/product/alpine-lower-carb
    I have also tried the Woolworths and Aldi versions. If anyone has any other low carb bread recommendations, please let me know.

Belinda

• 3.  RE: Food Swap - Bread

Posted 05-11-2020 08:47
      |   view attached
    I eat a lot of bread and have tried many.  White bread is by far the worst regardless of any added fibre.  I've settled on TrpTop 9 Grain wholemeal and Burgen Wholemeal with seeds.   Burgen with oats is also ok.  There might be others such as Abbott and Helga's but their slices are too large and thick so I avoid them.   Note that choosing bread made with wholemeal flour is important.  Even breads with whole grains are probably made with non-whole meal flour unless stated otherwise.

Jock

• 4.  RE: Food Swap - Bread

Posted 05-11-2020 14:23
    Breadd juggling is often an issue. I use the same ones as Jock and find their impacts predictable and consistent. I always go for he wholemeal options. Aldi has a pack of 2 low carb rolls which are 7gr of carbs each. I am not sure if they are low GI - have used them in Different circumstances, so have not been able to check impact on BGL rises very accurately. They are passable taste and a good low carb option. They are easy to carry if visiting and want to take my own carbs for lunch - better than taking a few slices of bread or eating something unsuitable.

Rochelle

• 5.  RE: Food Swap - Bread

Posted 05-11-2020 22:40
    Rochelle  its interesting that we've chosen the same bread.  I also carry it around with me to graze on during the day in the form of toast with low-salt vegemite and "natural" peanut past.  It keeps well for ages and almost replaces the mentos that I always used to carry.  I also work with horses and they love it too.  We T1's have some unusual habits.....

Jock

• 6.  RE: Food Swap - Bread

Posted 07-11-2020 12:44
    Here is an almond bread recipe:
    https://tasty.co/recipe/low-carb-bread
    I don't remember my wife separating the eggs and it was still nice but perhaps a little heavier.

And here is another super low carb idea that I had not heard of:
    https://tasty.co/recipe/cloud-bread

Cheers
    Cris

• 7.  RE: Food Swap - Bread

Posted 06-11-2020 10:21
    Hi Belinda

I've also tried and like the Alpine Low Carb and the Alpine Protein bread which seem to be low GI.  I contacted the company and asked which varieties were low gi, but they said they haven't been tested for their gi values as it costs about $5,000 for each item to be tested.  However they did say they felt all of their bread should be lower gi because of the base they use.  They said they had received good feedback from diabetics and the company said that their Spelt varieties should be low gi.  I tried one of the Spelt loaves (I forget which one) and my bgl's went through the roof.  Unfortunately I live in a small town which only has an IGA and they don't carry Alpine bread. 

I have eaten Burgen for decades, my taste preference being the Wholemeal and Seeds which is also nice and moist and also toasts well and is very low gi; I find both their Rye and Wholegrain and Oats quite dry; I can't tolerate their Soy and Linseed (makes me feel nauseous).  Another alternative to bread I really like and is definitely low gi is Ryvita, especially the one with Sesame seeds. 

Occasionally I can't get Burgen at my local store so I get Tip Top 9 Grain Original which is also good and toasts exceptionally well ... I find the Tip Top 9 Grain Wholemeal dry.

• 8.  RE: Food Swap - Bread

Posted 06-11-2020 08:55
    Hello All
    My favorites are Burgen Wholemeal and Seeds  and Bakers Delight Cape Seed loaf which is full of seeds and grains and wholemeal flour, and keeps really well in the freezer. I can easily detach two slices from the frozen loaf each lunch to make a delicious tuna and salad sandwich. It has similar carb content to the Burgen I also like but seems a bit more substantial and filling. - and will support a bit more salad without it spilling out! I am sure with all the whole seeds and grains it would be low GI

I   am fortunate in having a Bakers Delight not too far away and buy 2 or 3 loaves at a time and freeze. It is a bit more expensive than many other breads - but it is delicious! 

Helgas make s a low carb wholemeal and seeds loaf which is certainly lower carb than most Helgas wholemeal breads and is available at Coles. It is quite nice too if you are looking for a  soft wholemeal bread that is less "seedy and grainy" than the cape seed.

Mmmm! Hungry. Time for a cup of tea and a slice of bread!

Cheers all

Jan

• 9.  RE: Food Swap - Bread

Posted 06-11-2020 15:01
    Ditto on the Cape Seed loaf Janice - when I can get to the bakery.

Rochelle

• 10.  RE: Food Swap - Bread

Posted 07-11-2020 08:18

Hi Folks

When I was eating bread my wife was given a recipe for almond bread: very low carb, tasted great and easy to make. I don't know if you can buy that sort of bread but there should be recipes on the net.

Sols/Wildbreads also had a linseed based bread that was low carb and very nice but I think it was discontinued. Perhaps you could check them out. They may have an alternative.

• 11.  RE: Food Swap - Bread

Posted 11-11-2020 10:44
    Hello All
    On the bread front, I have found that sourdough - which I absolutely love - spikes my BGLs but does come down slowly after. I usually increase the insulin allowance slightly if I am going to indulge. Sourdough, olive oil and dukka is so  yumbo ... requires enormous self control, for me at least.  Have to always have some kind of protein to help reduce the spike - did I hear anyone say prosciutto?  Christmas is coming so it will be a special indulgence present. 
    Sinful regards

Rochelle

• 12.  RE: Food Swap - Bread

Posted 12-11-2020 14:26
    Hello Rochelle

I too find that sourdough makes my bgl high and takes a long time to come down.  I wonder whether though it could be because of the way it is made ... whether it's made the "traditional" way; what type of "starter" has been used; what type of flour has been used etc.

I found a really good website explaining what sourdough is and how it's fermented and made; health and nutritional info; about blood sugar levels; has less gluten which results in being able to absorb more of the minerals from grains (if used); may be easier to digest etc.

They also have a very good video on how to make your own "starter" at home, and how to keep it going, which interestingly doesn't use any yeast, just flour and water.  They also have videos for how to make different types of sourdough bread which I haven't looked at as yet, but intend to.

If you do have a go at making your own sourdough bread, I'd be really interested to know the results.  Likewise, I'll post comments when I make some, but don't know when that will be because I'm spending so much time in the garden at the moment.

Virus-free. www.avg.com

• 13.  RE: Food Swap - Bread

Posted 12-11-2020 23:03
    Thanks Cheryl
    It would be worth looking into making our own sourdough. I will check out the website and let you know.  At the moment I think it might be a new year project but hopefully I can get to it before then.
    Enjoy your gardening and the glorious weather we are having at the moment.
    Sounds like just the thing for good BGLs.
    Cheers
    Rochelle