Type 1 - Connect

View Only
  • 1.  infusion sets...advice please.

Posted 17-09-2021 09:20
    I have been using a pump for at least 10 years.  Overtime I have experienced problems with infusion sets: not running freely after insertion (have to wait several hours...which plays havoc with auto mode on the 770G); coming unstuck; plastic cannula kinking etc.  and getting "blocked" messages. After seeing my CDE ( about a month ago) I was advised to a) change it at night so that it is all ok in the morning...has mitigated that problem somewhat, b) change to a steel cannula  but I find the steel cannula is painful worse if there is any external pressure (lying on that side), I also find that small quantities of blood seep back into the tubing to about 3-5cm...it is flushed through when I bolus, am using a "patch" to more firmly anchor the cannula site.  I also find that after removing the cannula the site will bleed to the point of needing a dressing....more than a bandaid. I am on tiny aspirin but no serious blood thinners. I have tried the Quick Sets, Silhouette, and am now onto Sure "T".   Infusion sets located on outer thighs.  Help!
    Helen

------------------------------
    Helen

• 2.  RE: infusion sets...advice please.

Posted 17-09-2021 13:17

Hi Helen. I've been pumping for 23 years. Recently I have the 770g with auto mode. I used silhouettes for years and years. I found that they did kink. I haven't had the blood problem that you have. Do you eat much ginger?   I place my sets which are sure Ts just under my breast. I find it doesn't hurt there and I'm not lying on them and the breast protects it. Sometimes I put it lower on my tummy but it is sorer there. Also I used to push it right in but lately I've been not quite pushing in  seems to be better  

im using my sensor on my thighs. Where are you putting your sensor?

I would love to talk to you about how you find the 770g. I've had it only 3 moths. My email address is sydneymum14@hotmail.com
    cheers Cathy

Catherine

• 3.  RE: infusion sets...advice please.

Posted 24-09-2021 07:38
    Hi Helen, I use the Mio infusion sets, the cannulas are plastic so they don't generally hurt when I insert them. I have had occasional bent cannulas, but when I insert a new set I leave the old site connected until my numbers are looking good. I prefer to leave my old site connected for a few hours to ensure the last little bit of insulin has been properly absorbed from the set.

Danielle

• 4.  RE: infusion sets...advice please.

Posted 24-09-2021 09:50
    Thanks, Danielle.

I have tried almost everything except the Mio. CDE suggested I would be better with the metal cannula as I insert it in my outer thigh. I have a drawer full of the left overs but am thinking I will go back to the plastic cannula as I have a chronic pain (mild) at insertion point until i remove it. My understanding was that the new cannula had to establish a “receptive” area after insertion before the insulin would “flow”. Thus the other advice was to always change it before going to bed which in my case is hours after I have eaten so with the automode and the CGM it will catch up before morning. I suspect the blood issue is to do with the fact I often change it after a shower…nice and clean but also warm. Have to think about that. Helen