Type 1 - Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Insulin Storage - possible webinar topic

Posted 01-05-2022 11:22
    HI T1 Forum members and coordinators

The discussion of insulin storage prompted me to get on with asking if the forum coordinators could organise an educational webinar on this topic,
    and,
    request that it beheld evening/night. Daytime ones are often difficult to participate in as there are other daytime commitments/work.

I often travel, move between houses and am out and about during the day or working and have to carry insulin in a cool pack all day. Also, it can be 30 degrees in my house in summer (higher outside) and I wonder how effective the cool packs are at keeping insulin at an optimal temperature. I keep my Levemir in the fridge and take it out about 15 -30 min before injecting and the NovoRapid goes back in the fridge when I am at home in summer. 

I only place the needle on the pen when I am ready to inject, remove it immediately after, recap and store the pen, either temporarily in the cool pack or back in the fridge. I have a specific place for the case for the pens  - both are regularly cleaned. I also clean the cool pack case I use after i have been out.  I cant see any contamination risks. Washed/sanitisers hands goes without saying.

I hope a webinar with a professional who can comment knowledgeably on storage, including coping with the heat in Qld, can be arranged.

By the way, I find that when carrying a cool pack with the insulin in it in my handbag, it can feel warmer than I would like by the end of a day of carrying the handbag on my shoulder or having it in the car.

cheers

------------------------------
    Rochelle

• 2.  RE: Insulin Storage - possible webinar topic

Posted 02-05-2022 14:19
    Great idea Rochelle as I find travelling and holding insulin out of refrigeration for a period of time certainly impacts it effectiveness.

Chuck

• 3.  RE: Insulin Storage - possible webinar topic

Posted 03-05-2022 14:40
    Hi  - I discussed this with my Diabetic Adviser a few years ago, and  I now have 2 Frio Wallets.  When travelling I always take a spare with the pens in case the wallet in my wallet is faulty or some other issue.  During summer I keep my insulin in the wallet whereever I may may in the home or away.  I have no problem with this process.
    Marna

Marna

• 4.  RE: Insulin Storage - possible webinar topic

Posted 03-05-2022 16:09

Dear all,

In 2019, I travelled in Central Asia in April and May when it was hot. I took with me a small thermoelectric "fridge" that ran on the power cells you can purchase at places like JB HiFi or any other electronics type store. I had 4 x 12000 milliamp hour cells. Each one lasts around  10 hours. I set the temperature to 12C and there it stayed for the 3-weeks we were away and where the temperatures got up to 38C. The batteries got charged when we got to our hotel at nights. That was the technological sledgehammer to solve the temperature problem.

I now have the gel-packs that keep the temperature at 24C or so from Diabetes Australia. They are "renewable" simply by dunking in cold water for about 5 minutes when they dry out. They are great. I have two of these wallets. They can potentially last forever and are much cheaper than my mini-fridge. Simple. We are travelling in North Queensland soon. The gel packs will be going with me.

All that said to keep insulin cool, I had a major incident in August last year when we travelled out west for a business trip lasting a week. I took two spare insulin 3ml vials to recharge my pump. These I put into the freezer wallet designed to last 24-36 hours. Unfortunately and unthinkingly, I put the wallet into the esky with a load of frozen food. Result: the insulin must have frozen. Insulin, once frozen, definitely does not work. A change of a pump-set after dinner began innocuously enough. BSL went high but it kept on climbing to the HI (> 35mmol/l) level by midnight.  Goodness knows where it went. No food, pump more insulin in, totally ineffective. Result Diabetic Keto Acidosis (DKA). By then we were on dirt roads travelling to Menindee from Hillston. My wife drove like "a bat out of hell" at 140-150 km/h on dirt roads. A telephone call to a Chemist in Broken Hill set things up. A script got faxed through from Bathurst. It was too late for fresh insulin. A trip to the ED at Broken Hill and an expert Triage Nurse, got me admitted to the ED and then Intensive Care in short order. Intravenous Dextrose and Insulin started to bring the BSL down to a level where the glucometer could give a reading other than HI. This was followed by an RFDS flight to Orange (not to Adelaide where they wanted to send me). An angiogram followed showing major narrowing of 2 coronary arteries. Decision – bypass surgery and a flight by Air Ambulance NSW to Sydney. At Sydney the stretcher I was strapped into fell out of the aeroplane – literally – as I was being hoisted out. Shock! Horror! My first words to the frozen ambulance folk was "Gentlemen, the eagle has landed". I was ok. I had this premonition that "something" was going to happen. It did! I was braced for impact and my head was cradled. I fell head first, with the feet end of the stretcher caught on the deck of the aeroplane! So, DKA, a suspected heart-attack and a fall resulted in me buying a lottery ticket, which got a small prize but not the "big one". Talk about "LUCK".

Moral of story: Insulin is VERY IMPORTANT; Don't freeze it – use the wallets; and, DKA can be a killer – have enough backup insulin or carry a script with you.

I am ok. There was no heart damage. I had a double bypass and am good for a Kellion Medal when I get to 60, 70 and 80 years of Type 1. So, the surgeon said anyway. ��

Cheers

David

Sent from Mail for Windows

This e-mail is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose or use the information contained within. If you have received it in error please return it to the sender via reply e-mail and delete any record of it from your system. The information contained within is not the opinion of Edith Cowan University in general and the University accepts no liability for the accuracy of the information provided.

CRICOS IPC 00279B
    RTO PROVIDER 4756

• 5.  RE: Insulin Storage - possible webinar topic

Posted 09-05-2022 16:49

Hi Rochelle,

Thank you for suggesting this very important topic. We will add this topic to the list for an upcoming webinar or short video.

Thank you

Community Team
    Natasha & Erin
    community@diabetesaustralia.com.au