Type 1 - Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Purchasing pump consumables

Posted 11-12-2020 19:48

Hi
    I have always purchased a years worth of infusion sets an reservoirs at a time.  Usually 6 boxes of each. 

I went to the pharmacy to do this last week and was told I could only order 2 boxes of each. 

The reason given to me was that it was a new rule introduced by Diabetes NSW & ACT. 

I don't understand why. This means I am bothering the pharmacy to order my supplies more often. This is a service the pharmacy is not paid to do, so why have them do more orders than they need to do.

Has anyone else come across this?

Can Diabetes NSW & ACT explain this?

Thanks
    Donna 

------------------------------
    Donna

• 2.  RE: Purchasing pump consumables

Posted 12-12-2020 06:38
    Hi Donna

I believe it was a rationing mechanism brought in at the beginning of the Covid isolation restrictions in March to stop panic buying (remember the great toilet roll drought?)
    Harwood
    --
    Harwood Lockton

mob: 0468717602

• 3.  RE: Purchasing pump consumables

Posted 12-12-2020 09:30
    I had the same problem in May. And August and November...

The reason given at my Pharmacy was related to the "supply chain". They wish to ensure that there is sufficient supply for all at all times.  I can live with that. 

From what I understand, the pump consumables are not made here in Australia. Same for the CGM sensors. 

regards

David McKinnon

• 4.  RE: Purchasing pump consumables

Posted 13-12-2020 12:49
    One reason I would think this is to stop the hoarding of supplies - if everyone ordered a years worth of consumables (or more if they were able) this certainly has the potential to create shortages and impact others requiring these same items.   

Secondly, to limit to a reasonable regularly supplied quantity for personal use to prohibit these items being sent and or sold OS where costs can be exorbitant as they are not subsidised for locals as they are for us by the Australian govt. 

The pharmacy doesn't mind ordering, it is part of their service and no doubt you order other products when you go there.  Cut down your pharmacy visits by using the MedAdvisor app to order (if you dont already).

Shauna

• 5.  RE: Purchasing pump consumables

Posted 14-12-2020 17:17
    Hi Donna,

Earlier this year, with the onset of Covid-19, there was stockpiling across many products, including medical supplies. Infusion sets and reservoirs were among those products stockpiled, and while there wasn't an acute overall shortage of stock, some pharmacies experienced local shortages.

In response to this, the NDSS introduced limits to ensure people in all areas had access to an average supply of two months. The NDSS will review the limits as conditions change.  

Covid-19 has affected many areas of production, import, and supply, and it is important that everyone can access medical supplies that they need. 

A link to this information is https://www.ndss.com.au/coronavirus-covid-19-information/products/

Live Your Life Community Team
    Natasha & Erin
    membership@diabetesnsw.com.au