Type 1 - Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Has anyone done one of the CSIRO meal plans/ diets?

Posted 04-04-2021 17:12
    Has anyone done one of the CSIRO meal plans/ diets? What did you think?

------------------------------
    Live Your Life Community Team
    Natasha & Erin
    membership@diabetesnsw.com.au
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Has anyone done one of the CSIRO meal plans/ diets?

Posted 06-04-2021 10:59

Yes, years before I was diagnosed with T1D I purchased and followed 'The CSIRO Low-Carb Diet' and then later 'The CSIRO Total Wellbeing Diet'.  I found the meal plans in both publications very good - reflective of healthy eating guidelines with good, well balanced and interesting meals, and resulted in weight loss.  I was not pre-diabetic or diabetic at the time, just keen to be eating healthily and keep my weight within normal range for my height.  I think the CSIRO meal plans/diets are a great resource for preventing and managing T2D and provides a healthy eating plan for life for anyone.   

When diagnosed with T1D last year I looked back on those recipes and meal plans.  To assist in calculating the insulin required for a meal, it would be advantageous if the CSIRO recipes included how many grams of carbs are in each serve, rather than how many units of food type (e.g. protein, vegetables, fats, dairy). However, I'm happy to work out the number of grams of carbs per serve myself for my favourite recipes.

Regards,

Julie