Type 1 - Connect

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Travel Preparedness

• 1.  Travel Preparedness

Posted 17-07-2020 14:50

I'm so enjoying reading this community forum, so many subjects relating to us T1's being discussed concerning individual issues and achievements. A great daily read. 

I would like to share the importance of total preparedness when embarking on travelling, particularly international travel. (Whenever this may resume).  Last year I travelled to the UK for 9 weeks and of course considered all my diabetic items required for this journey. There is a lot to consider, particularly on the long haul flights, including  planning  for the unexpected scenarios and these are all listed on numerous websites including Diabetes Queensland.  During the time abroad I realised that I did not pack enough needles, I found this to be extremely worrying and certainly put me in panic mode. Fortunately after visiting a local chemist in a small town on the Scottish border my fears were allayed and I was able to purchase needles with the correct gauge for my pen. A lesson well learnt for future travel. 
    I found the FRIO insulin cooling wallet ideal for my insulin pens and so easy to maintain with clear instructions for use. 

I love travelling, like most and having diabetes should not deter anyone from that wonderful experience and enjoyment that comes with travelling.  

Happy Travels 

------------------------------
    Suellen

• 2.  RE: Travel Preparedness

Posted 18-07-2020 07:03
    Hi Suellen,

I bought a Frio pen cooler but haven’t used it yet. For those who don’t know, you soak the inside section in water and the stuffing absorbs it and swells up. Evaporation keeps the insulin pens cool.

Because the Frio is damp, I’m not sure where to carry it. What do you do to keep everything else dry?

Cheers,
    Leanne Jones

• 3.  RE: Travel Preparedness

Posted 19-07-2020 08:36
    Hi Leanneand Suellen
    I used the Frio when I was overseas as well. Once hydrated they are a bit bulky but they seem to do the trick. To stop getting everything else damp in my handbag, I put mine in a plastic bag but left the top open so it could still breathe. It says not to do this, but ...... when using a day/backpack I had a separate pocket I could put it in.  I have not really used it much in Aus as I have other cases with freezer blocks etc I can use when travelling. 
    I would also be interested to hear what others do. 
    Enjoy your travels.

Rochelle

• 4.  RE: Travel Preparedness

Posted 21-07-2020 12:39
    Hi Rochelle

I have traveled many times overseas to Europe.  Sometimes staying overnight somewhere or more days. I don't use a Frio. I keep the pens in my handbag and never had a problem.
    Werna 

Sent from Werna's Samsung tablet.

• 5.  RE: Travel Preparedness

Posted 19-07-2020 11:45
    Just a warning on the Frio coolers.  They are great but when travelling by air they ought not be activated until through airport checks as they are considered to have more than 100ml of liquid.    Helen

Helen

• 6.  RE: Travel Preparedness

Posted 19-07-2020 16:29
    Wow Helen, thanks for the warning. Did not know that and can't remember what I did as the last overseas trip was 2016. Liquid restrictions in then but maybe I was lucky or let them dry out for the flight as the lockers are pretty cold anyway. 
    I guess none of us a flying too far for the near future☹️

On another travel issue, any tips on keeping spare  insulin for more than 28 days when travelling.
    I only started insulin after travelling on long trips, and since starting insulin my trips have been less than 28 days so just need to keep the spare supply cold/cool in case it is needed, which would be within the 28 days anyway. 

Hope we can travel to all states soon. Missing family in Vic.

Rochelle

• 7.  RE: Travel Preparedness

Posted 20-07-2020 17:35
    ​Hi Helen,
    We have travelled extensively by air and always activated our Frio and never had an issue at Security. Once, they intercepted the Frio and after explaining what it was for they passed it. I always carry my NDSS card and Diabetic QLD Membership card plus a doctors printout of my medications including insulin.
    Happy travelling,
    John G

Johannes

• 8.  RE: Travel Preparedness

Posted 21-07-2020 05:19
    I think it also depends on who you get....I also travelled extensively (usually Asia) and after the first run in routinely activated it the bathroom after Security.  I carried everything you mentioned and rarely ran into difficulty.  In Singapore I was asked to dismantle my insulin pump so that they could wand the interior for drugs!  The more diabetics travel the greater the awareness and the fewer problems we will have.  Also was asked to hand my pack with insulin, pens etc to the cabin staff for safe keeping onboard. When I offered it to the cabin staff they very politely asked if it would not be safer with me? Some staff are over zealous!

Helen

• 9.  RE: Travel Preparedness

Posted 19-07-2020 17:30
    ​Hi Leanne,
    We have travelled over many years with a Frio pouch to keep the insulin vials cool. The inner pouch is the one you soak but make sure  you drain it so it is only moist. It should them go into the outer pouch which should stay dry. The cooling effect is achieved by the evaporation process through the outer pouch.  Make sure once you unpack the pouch from your bag you leave in the open so the evaporation effect can take place. It usually keeps cool for several days.
    Regards,
    John G

Johannes

• 10.  RE: Travel Preparedness

Posted 19-07-2020 18:20

Thanks for the comments on the Frio

I've had no issues at all travelling with the Frio Viva Zipper Wallet and have used this extensively following the  clear instructions including the drying and cleaning of both wallets.  However ensure the inner wallet is completely dried naturally and returned to crystal form when not is use and this does take time.

Rochelle, I found the Frio held all my insulin supplies for the lengthy time away and stored the insulin in a fridge wherever we were staying. Using the Frio only when on the road. It certainly gave me reassurance when embarking on a holiday. 

Cheers 

Suellen

• 11.  RE: Travel Preparedness

Posted 21-07-2020 12:53
    Hi Suellen

If you travel and find you did not pack enough needles, don't stress, because you can always use the needles more times in one day.
    That is ok if you need it, but to do it always, that is not a good idea. 
    I have done it and everything went very good, no troubles at all. Keep that in mind for the next time. 
    Travel safely 
    Werna

Sent from Werna's Samsung tablet.

• 12.  RE: Travel Preparedness

Posted 21-07-2020 17:13
    Sent from my iPad

• 13.  RE: Travel Preparedness

Posted 21-07-2020 17:20

Hi Werna

Thanks for advice on reusing needles and this was the case when running very low and before I managed to get a further supply.

A timely reminder to myself to do the homework throughly prior to heading abroad for a lengthy time.

Cheers

Suellen

• 14.  RE: Travel Preparedness

Posted 26-07-2020 11:14
    Similarly with the pump reservoirs and tubing.   Just think laterally...it is certainly not recommended but in an emergency you can work it out.  Helen

Helen