Type 1 - Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Food labelling - questions from the advocacy team

Posted 25-05-2021 08:32
    1. 1. Do you look for endorsements on pack ?  If so which ones?
    2. 2. Do you know the GI symbol and what it means?
    3. 3. Would you find a carb counter on pack for a serve of the food useful?

------------------------------
    Live Your Life Community Team
    Natasha and Erin
    membership@diabetesqld.org.au

• 2.  RE: Food labelling - questions from the advocacy team

Posted 25-05-2021 12:55
    - haven't trusted endorsements as I figure they are all bought
    - Probably recognise the GI symbol, but I don't recall seeing it on any food I buy. That would be useful.
    - I thought most packaged food has a grams of carb per serve already, though when I dose based on that number there seems to be a lot of variability

David

• 3.  RE: Food labelling - questions from the advocacy team

Posted 25-05-2021 14:29
    Hi Team
    1. I don't look for and have not noticed endorsements on products I use. Unless it was something like Diabetes Aus I would probably ignore it, if I did see it.

2. I always check for low GI on products it could apply to e.g. Bread, pasta, crackers

3. I use the carbs per 100gr and sometimes the carbs per portion to work out if I want to buy the product and/or how much I eat. I guess I find it easy enough to do the count myself using this info.

Rochelle Jesser

• 4.  RE: Food labelling - questions from the advocacy team

Posted 26-05-2021 10:30
    1. No, but if I notice one from DQ, JDFR or CSIRO, etc, I might take notice.
    2. I thought it was just GI, so I searched and found this (thank you): GI Symbol   (you might need to press & hold the Ctrl key before clicking it)
    3. No.  I use the carbs/100gm data, although for bread, I may also check the crabs per serve because a slice is the practical increment/unit of consumption.

Jock