Type 2 - Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Continuous Glucose Monitoring

Posted 17-05-2022 15:42
    Why has Diabetes Australia made a subsidy submission to both political parties for CGM (Continuous Glucose Monitoring) for Type 1 diabetics only? The subsidy has been accepted by both political parties and will come into force from July  1 with out financial restraints to the recipients. Where as Type 2 diabetics on insulin receive no subsidy even if they have a concession card.It does appear insulin dependent Type 2 diabetics are being discriminated against. I personally am on 5 injections per day and have been on insulin for 22 years. I am extremely fit for my age and not overweight. This does appear to be an anomaly.

------------------------------
    James

• 2.  RE: Continuous Glucose Monitoring

Posted 18-05-2022 09:21
    Do you see an endocrinologist?
    Has any health professional discussed Trulicity or Ozempic with you?
    I have only been on Trulicity for a week and already both my insulin intake and my BGLs have lowered dramatically.

Paul D

• 3.  RE: Continuous Glucose Monitoring

Posted 19-05-2022 07:33
    Hi Paul,
    Trulicity and Ozempic are good medications for people that can tolerate them and  have no side effects but I am one of the many people that have severe side effects to these drugs and had no other choice but to go on insulin. I have a good health care team of health professionals  and this was their advice. I am a T2 IDDM and would welcome the chance to  have CGM instead of the constant regular finger pricking I must do now  but I cannot afford the cost as I am on a carer's pension( looking after my severely disabled daughter) .

Donna

• 4.  RE: Continuous Glucose Monitoring

Posted 19-05-2022 08:56
    Donna I found the  Trulicity Side-Effects pretty shocking  but they do tend to fade over time
    and if any remain they are usually easier to tolerate.  Cheers  Geoff

Geoff

• 5.  RE: Continuous Glucose Monitoring

Posted 20-05-2022 10:38
    Hi Geoffrey,
    Sadly I am one of the people whom the side effects increase with every injection, by the time I stopped the trulicity injections I couldn't even keep sips of water down, the nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and  pain was incredible and the toilet and I had a very special relationship. My husband had to take time off work to care for me and our daughter.

Donna

• 6.  RE: Continuous Glucose Monitoring

Posted 21-05-2022 09:53
    I found Trulicity made me so sick it was like I had been poisoned. It did reduce my levels somewhat but I couldn’t tolerate it. I found that removing most of the carbs from my diet gave me a much better result. I’m building a list of low carb meals that I can enjoy plenty of and not go hungry. 🤪
    Thanks for everyone’s comments which are educational. 👍

Sent from my iPhone

• 7.  RE: Continuous Glucose Monitoring

Posted 22-05-2022 10:10
    Hello Hula,  I found the 'Lite 'n Easy' delivered lunches have good nutrition, lower carbs etc.,
    While I didn't choose them to lose weight I am now down to my recommended Weight-per-height.

Sounds like you don't need this for yourself, but I thought I should mention it in case it is of some benefit to you.
    (well done with the low carb diet)

Regards  Geoff

Geoff

• 8.  RE: Continuous Glucose Monitoring

Posted 19-05-2022 10:10
    Paul
    I am curious. Did you receive my reply as I cant see it on the forum anywhere.

James

• 9.  RE: Continuous Glucose Monitoring

Posted 19-05-2022 13:41
    You replied to me privately so that reply is not posted to the forum.
    Assuming you are logged in, you need to click on the down arrow at the top right of any page. Then click on Profile. Then click on My Inbox. There you will find your private messages, including the one I sent you.in reply to yours.

Paul D

• 10.  RE: Continuous Glucose Monitoring

Posted 18-05-2022 10:58
    Totally agree James. It's not fair. DA are not representing ALL of us.

Christie

• 11.  RE: Continuous Glucose Monitoring

Posted 20-05-2022 07:19
    I agree Christie and James.  Thank you too for the comments and questions from Richard in the "great news…." Thread.  I'm an insulin dependent T2.  The CGM and insulin pump are expensive.  As a T2 I also don't have access to the same range of pumps that T1 people do.  It would be a very positive step if we had the same support and access, and I would welcome DA's advocacy on our behalf.

Helen