Type 1 - Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Loss of Appetite after spinal surgery

Posted 11-10-2020 11:34
    Help please.  Has anyone experienced this phenomenon?  Operation was July - very traumatic, 6 weeks in hospital because of e.g. urine infection resulting in hyperglaecemia reactions, rehab etc.  After almost 60 years of Type 1 Diabetes I have always had good control realising, when I went off Lente insulin, that if my b.s.l's were high, that I needed more quick acting insulin immediately.  Since the op. I have lost 10kgs. weight and have had to take off my wedding rings because they are too loose, clothes flap on me etc. I feel I am on a spinning wheel:  the more I eat the more insulin I need - am having double the units of quick acting doses that I used to have - also sometimes I have to have extra injections on top of before mealtimes. Always had good H.B.A.i.C's.  Have never been overweight but now my weight only varies by .50 grm each week, am too skinny.  I either lose 50grms or I gain 50 grms. Thank goodness I have an appm't in 2 weeks @ local hospital diabetic clinic to see an Endocrynologist.  Question:  will I ever get my appetite back and will my diabetes control return to what used to be my normal?  As a result of hospital stay have been diagnosed with P.T.S.D. and have sought counselling.

Julie

• 2.  RE: Loss of Appetite after spinal surgery

Posted 12-10-2020 17:29
    Julie, I'm sorry to hear about your situation, which I haven't experienced.  Others in this forum have had periods of unexplained hypos (including myself) and I've had periods when I've had to significantly increase my insulin but with 60 years experience, you wouldn't be surprised about that.  In terms of appetite, I rarely feel hungry.

I hope you upcoming appointment sorts things out for you.

- all the best....

------------------------------
    Jock
    ------------------------------