Type 1 - Connect

View Only
  • 1.  Blinded by Sugar

Posted 07-08-2020 15:21
    For those who attended what were your thoughts on today's Blinded by Sugar webinar? 

If you were not able to attend the recording will be available shortly.

------------------------------
    Live Your Life Community Team
    Natasha and Erin
    membership@diabetesqld.org.au

• 2.  RE: Blinded by Sugar

Posted 07-08-2020 17:33
    It was a well-prepared and presented seminar primarily directed to people with uncontrolled T2 and those who might acquire it. Dr James Muecke (AM) covered the effects of long-term high sugar on the body generally and the eyes in particular.  Key message:  avoid sugar and don't avoid fats. 

He wants to amend the national dietary guidelines and I assume from his talk that he means to reduce sweat fruits (tropical) and remove reference to high fat foods.  See
    https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/the-australian-dietary-guidelines .  He also wants to add graphic labeling on food that contain high added sugar in the same way that we achieved for smoking.

It was certainly worth watching because a person with out-of-control T1 (high BGLs) would suffer the same consequences as a T2.   There are a lot of people in this forum who are aware of the negative effects of high BGL.  Some, who want to maintain non-diabetic HbA1c (e.g. myself) would like to know more about the long-term effects of low BGLs.  I suspect there isn't much research into that.

Thank you very much to Dr James Muecke and to DQ for arranging this.

Note that Dr James Muecke (AM) is the 2020 Australian of the Year - an eye surgeon who focuses on eye damage from diabetes. 

Jock