Type 1 - Connect

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Anonymous member post - Injecting insulin in public

• 1.  Anonymous member post - Injecting insulin in public

Posted 10-09-2021 08:37
    I have recently been diagnosed and I feel awkward injecting in public and try to do it secretly.

Question do you try to hide away when injecting in public or do you just inject wherever you are? Any tips for me?

------------------------------
    Live Your Life Community Team
    Natasha & Erin
    community@diabetesaustralia.com.au

• 2.  RE: Anonymous member post - Injecting insulin in public

Posted 11-09-2021 05:32
    I am assuming you use a pen ?

These are very discreet as opposed to syringes where you have to sit there and fill the needle from a phial of insulin.

I never worried about either. If anyone was offended in any way they were welcome to avert their gaze.

Paul.
    "I just looked at the calendar and realized – my days are numbered"  Johnny Moscato

• 3.  RE: Anonymous member post - Injecting insulin in public

Posted 11-09-2021 05:52
    I no how you feel I was diagnosed nearly 2 years ago and was so worried about being out and injecting . I found it so stressful at first but once you actually start looking around I found a lot of people are to wrapped up in there own world to notice . Main thing is you look out for your self and that 10seconds it takes will be nothing the more you do it .

Tim

• 4.  RE: Anonymous member post - Injecting insulin in public

Posted 11-09-2021 07:19

Welcome to the group.  

Don't ever be embarrassed or awkward about  injecting.    I have never felt awkward but if in large crowds would try to be discreet  and move away from the company.   

A squillion  years on and having been a pump user for the last 11.5, bolusing and corrections are so  much easier.  

Now I don't care who knows I'm diabetic and I wear my pump on my belt and my CGM on my arm.     If people ask what they are are I tell them my pump is my pancreas and the CGM is my WIFI.   It breaks the ice. 

All the best to you, it's a hard gig, but don't let others make it harder for you.   

Take care.   

Jane😀

Jane

• 5.  RE: Anonymous member post - Injecting insulin in public

Posted 11-09-2021 07:41
    In winter, when most of my "injection sites" are buried in clothes, I generally retire to the gents. In other seasons, when my attire permits, I just inject.I have been doing this for years, and generally nobody notices. Have never had any complaints. Once on an overseas flight, the hostess noticed and her only reaction was to ensure I disposed of my needle correctly!

Barry

• 6.  RE: Anonymous member post - Injecting insulin in public

Posted 11-09-2021 09:03
    I've been injecting for 12 years and at the beginning I felt awkward injecting around others. I think of it no different to someone drinking from a water bottle now, we're both doing it to survive. I say don't be concerned about concealing it, you need to do it

Andrew

• 7.  RE: Anonymous member post - Injecting insulin in public

Posted 11-09-2021 12:24
    Hi!  Welcome to our exclusive club.  It can seem to be very off putting, injecting in front of others.  Start just doing it in front of family and close friends first.  Then as you get more used to it, just inject whenever needed.  You can do it discreetly under the table usually, just angle slightly towards the person you feel most comfortable with.  If I have just met someone who seems finicky, I sometimes explain that I am about to inject insulin so they can look away if necessary.  NEVER feel ashamed to have a condition that you could not avoid.  Just act casually, like it is a normal everyday act to inject.  IT IS for us.  Cheers!

Leanne

• 8.  RE: Anonymous member post - Injecting insulin in public

Posted 11-09-2021 13:21
    I had issues for many years injecting in public, in particular at business events. My children also didn't like me doing it.

I realised that if I delayed my injection, in the overall scheme of things (likely 50 years with diabetes), going high for a couple of hours when I was out would not make much of a difference so I didn't let it bother me. I would rather wait than inject in a public toilet! 

Now, I am pretty okay with injecting in public and have a response ready if anyone questions it, I have to inject myself to eat and if you don't like it look away!

Martin

• 9.  RE: Anonymous member post - Injecting insulin in public

Posted 11-09-2021 14:20
    Hi my name is Wayne. Type 1 Diabetic since 1993. Just very recently diagnosed with Addison's disease and hearing loss. To be honest i don't even worry about it as the people i am with know i am a diabetic. I just get on with injecting myself and wouldn't even notice if people are watching me do this. 

Regards 

Wayne

• 10.  RE: Anonymous member post - Injecting insulin in public

Posted 11-09-2021 14:35
    I think it depends on the circumstances.

Females have a slight advantage in that they can use a large handbag to provide some discrete space for injecting, if they are wearing the right clothes.

I hate, and always try to avoid, using toilets, unless they are "upmarket" ones with large, clean spaces. These are more likely at nice restaurants. I sometimes go back to my car.

But if I have to inject in public I am as discreet as possible and if others notice and have a problem with it I am not bothered. It is their problem for a brief period of time whereas I have to live with it all day everyday.

• 11.  RE: Anonymous member post - Injecting insulin in public

Posted 12-09-2021 08:58
    When I was first diagnosed I also tried to inject secretly, often in the toilets.  Then I realised, if I was taking a headache tablet or other medication I wouldn't try to hide the fact.  Since then it doesn't bother me in the slightest no matter where I am.

Cheryl

• 12.  RE: Anonymous member post - Injecting insulin in public

Posted 13-09-2021 10:31
    Hi my name is Michael , 
    i have had Type 1 Diabetes for 18 years now , Regarding injecting in Public ....you should not worry about that , you have no choice and 
    it is essential , Dont worry any  bystander who gets put off with needles and injections can turn away.    :-)

Michael

• 13.  RE: Anonymous member post - Injecting insulin in public

Posted 13-09-2021 16:14
    I became a diabetic 20 years ago with an 8 month old and full time work, so I have always injected in public, usually through an item of clothing too.  Yep, you become so adept at it that people don't realise you've done it!

Rachel

• 14.  RE: Anonymous member post - Injecting insulin in public

Posted 14-09-2021 13:39
    Hello, Graham here. I have been injecting for 43 years.  At first it was tricky with disposable syringes but I would often carry them, pre-loaded, in a toothbrush container. I would go to the toilet and inject there. I had a fear that police would walk in and think I was doing drugs. I would have my diabetic identification very handy, just in case.  It was not very nice and after a while I thought it was wrong that I had to go to the toilet for this. It was no different than an asthmatic using a puffer in public. Naturally I didn't want to draw attention to myself so I would do it discreetly. When insulin pens came out things were much easier. It is so easy now to slightly open my shirt and inject.  I have done it so many times without a complaint. People who know me might notice me doing it but generally the public has not even noticed. I have done this at small restaurants, formal dinners, onboard flights etc.  The more you do it the easier and more normal it becomes.

Graham

• 15.  RE: Anonymous member post - Injecting insulin in public

Posted 14-09-2021 14:56
    I spent some time working in Singapore and was using disposable syringes at the time.

I came back to my hotel on night and found that everything had been moved, was in a different location etc.

Nothing was ever said and the hotel staff knew nothing of it ( unlikely ) but it was a bit weird.

Other than that I have never had a problem - if anyone does have a problem that is their issue - not mine !

Paul
    "Rookwood is full of indispensable people." ( My mum )

• 16.  RE: Anonymous member post - Injecting insulin in public

Posted 15-09-2021 09:23

I  have had diabetes for 53 years. I haven't injected since 1998 when I got my first pump. But when I was a young Mum and even before I used to just whip it out and inject. On the train, on the bus. Two things I laugh at now are I used to be able to drive and load and inject while driving (and they say mobile phone use is dangerous. Try driving a geared Car while retrieving the cigarette you dropped in your lap). 

The second one was when I gave my injection when I had kids at the playground. With the pram sitting next to me. An old man told me I was disgusting. But I explained that it was a diabetic injection and he was apologetic. 

Catherine

• 17.  RE: Anonymous member post - Injecting insulin in public

Posted 15-09-2021 10:52
    Hi,

I was diagnosed in 2010 and found it really awkward at the start to do BGL testing and injections in cafes/restaurants. I started off going into the toilets to do it, but it didn't take long to feel even more awkward going into the toilets to do it. Having to leave the table with my bag, fiddling with test strips and needles in toilets and getting looks from others in the toilets caused me to feel more comfortable doing it at the table.

I now use a Dexcom G6 CGM, so can see my glucose levels on my watch. I usually do Injections fairly discreetly under the table.

I've definitely had people give unhelpful comments, but I think most people are very accepting and sometimes interested.

Good luck! Hope you can feel comfortable soon and not let it get in the way of living life to the full!

Chris

Christopher

• 18.  RE: Anonymous member post - Injecting insulin in public

Posted 16-09-2021 15:43
    I felt uncertain at first and went to the restroom to inject  that didn't last long 🤣. I now  inject at the table and most of the time nobody notice.  In pants, just pull top down a little. Best is the leg 🦵 when in shorts, dress or very thin fabric pants.  I have never offended anyone. 🤗

Linda

• 19.  RE: Anonymous member post - Injecting insulin in public

Posted 16-09-2021 15:59
    Linda - I am sure that I have offended several people - I just don't care !!

Paul
    "I am not perfect. I thought that I had made a mistake - but it turned out I was right."

• 20.  RE: Anonymous member post - Injecting insulin in public

Posted 18-09-2021 09:31
    Paul,  read page 24 in the new diabetic magazine. It will make you feel better about being a T1D 🙂

Linda