Type 1 - Connect

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Abbott Libre Sensors

• 1.  Abbott Libre Sensors

Posted 15-11-2021 16:12

Hello my name is Michelle.

I am writing to find out whether anyone else who uses the Abbott Libre Sensors has had to have an MRI.

The reason I ask is , I had to have an MRI two weeks ago and had changed my sensor the night before as I has knocked the sensor I had on off.  

I went to have the MRI and was told I had to take the sensor off.  I said I had just changed it the night before. I was having an MRI on my foot not of my arm.  The radiographer insisted it had to come off.

I was very annoyed by this.  He said have your doctor write to the radiography company stating you had to take it off and they will allow me to obtain another sensor?  This is so frustrating.   Of course the radiography company is not going to reimburse me.

I am interested to hear from others.  I have to have another MRI in two weeks.  I have started using my old blood glucose machine, so I do not waste another $92.50.

• 2.  RE: Abbott Libre Sensors

Posted 16-11-2021 06:09
    Hi Michelle !

Had the same experience. They have a list of devices which can be worn during an MRI. Unfortunately the Libre Sensor is not on the list.

Not sure why, but goodbye $92.50 !

------------------------------
    Paul
    "I'm not much on seizing the day. I just kinda poke it with a stick."

• 3.  RE: Abbott Libre Sensors

Posted 17-11-2021 08:07
    Hi Everyone,

FYI - Dexcom can’t be worn for MRI or X-rays either. I did ring AMSL up before going and checked to be doubly sure.

Leanne Jones

• 4.  RE: Abbott Libre Sensors

Posted 17-11-2021 08:26
    Dear all re MRIs and sensors,
    MRI stands for Magnetic Resonance Imaging. The process uses intense and changing magnetic fields to build images of your interior. The software to do that is amazing.

One of the main effects of a changing magnetic field is inducing an electric current in metals. That is how the older transformers work to change 240 volts to 5 volts or 24 V.

So, you are asked to remove jewellery, watches, glasses etc., and sensors that contain metal because of both the electric currents the magnetic fields would cause and if any magnetic materials were in them ( Iron, Cobalt, Nickel) they would be attracted by the intense magnetism. The fields are INTENSELY strong.

That is one of the reasons that hips and knees contain only Titanium. It is non magnetic and neither is Gold or Silver (dental fillings).

Precaution is the main game in removing everything that is removable.

Hope this helps you plan your future MRIs.

Regards
    David

Adjunct Professor David H McKinnon
    School of Education
    Edith Cowan University
    Joondalup 6027, Perth
    Western Australia

This e-mail is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose or use the information contained within. If you have received it in error please return it to the sender via reply e-mail and delete any record of it from your system. The information contained within is not the opinion of Edith Cowan University in general and the University accepts no liability for the accuracy of the information provided.

CRICOS IPC 00279B
    RTO PROVIDER 4756

• 5.  RE: Abbott Libre Sensors

Posted 18-11-2021 09:27
    Hi David thank you for that that was very informative. Does that mean that because I've got titanium in my leg I could still have an MRI?

Catherine

• 6.  RE: Abbott Libre Sensors

Posted 18-11-2021 15:01
    Hi Catherine,
    It is non magnetic but a current could still be induced in it. I would talk to your doctor and to the radiologist. 

My approach is : when in such positions, tell them everything before going for the appointment. 

Regards 
    David

School of Education
    Edith Cowan University
    Joondalup 6027, Perth 
    Western Australia

• 7.  RE: Abbott Libre Sensors

Posted 17-11-2021 10:36
    I have a Dexcom G5. Checked with AMSL before I had a bone density scan They can be worn only during an ultrasound, no other imaging situations. I assume it is the same with all CGMs and that it would interfere with the transmitter or fry components. Luckily I had only one day to go with mine but the day adjustment sets me up for my next screen in a week where I will only miss a couple of hours.
    Hope all results are 😊
    Rochelle

• 8.  RE: Abbott Libre Sensors

Posted 16-11-2021 07:04
    I had an MRI a few weeks ago and had to remove my Medtronic CGM.  It too was only a day old.  I called Medtronic and they replaced it no questions asked.    

Jane

• 9.  RE: Abbott Libre Sensors

Posted 16-11-2021 07:25
    It is an undeniable fact that MRIs are scheduled for one day after a new sensor is fitted !  🤣

Paul
    "I just looked at the calendar and realized – my days are numbered" Johnny Moscato

• 10.  RE: Abbott Libre Sensors

Posted 16-11-2021 07:21
    Hi....I had an MRI for my torso area 7 weeks ago at Shellharbour Hospital......no problems with the Libre.

Barry

• 11.  RE: Abbott Libre Sensors

Posted 16-11-2021 07:54
    Hi, I use the Medtronic sensors and have also had two MRIs. The first time I was told I had to take it the sensor off. The second time I was told to time the MRI so that it could done between sensors. I think fundamentally it is a case of us being aware that we will have to remove them and time the MRI to suit. Helen

Sent from just another electronic device.

• 12.  RE: Abbott Libre Sensors

Posted 16-11-2021 08:36
    Hi Michelle,
                             I have had an MRI and declared my sensor and was told it was ok.  This was at a public hospital.

Regards Don

• 13.  RE: Abbott Libre Sensors

Posted 16-11-2021 08:46
    Hey Team, Can we get a definitive answer from someone who knows and the reasons why/why not would help.  Thanks, Helen

Helen

• 14.  RE: Abbott Libre Sensors

Posted 16-11-2021 09:07
    Helen,

When I had an MRI the operator had a list. I don't know the origin of the list but I suspect, based on the stories of inconsistencies in procedure, they made it up themselves.

The reality is that the governing body of these services, the "Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists", should provide guidance in their "Standards of Practice for Clinical Radiology, Version 11.2". Unfortunately there is nothing in this document to provide guidance, so,  each practice has to make up their own list of approved devices.

This leads to inconsistency. The suitability of each device for MRI is probably left up to someone with limited knowledge and no ongoing responsibility for reviewing new devices.

It needs to be changed, doesn't it ?

Paul
    "I am not perfect. I thought that I had made a mistake - but it turned out I was right."

• 15.  RE: Abbott Libre Sensors

Posted 16-11-2021 08:46
    Good morning to you all, 
                                               I understand your concerns, we are all in the same boat but I only learnt recently of a food that I have avoided for 40 years. 
                                               A dietitian told me to have honey.  I only use a drop before bed, (enough to sit on the top of a cut banana) I was told that it is the slowest carb to be absorbed so lasts longer than lollies. 

Regards Don

• 16.  RE: Abbott Libre Sensors

Posted 16-11-2021 09:46

I have always been advised to remove pump and sensor when having MRI, X-ray etc.
    Your device maybe destroyed if  you continue to wear them. 

Donna

• 17.  RE: Abbott Libre Sensors

Posted 16-11-2021 11:00
    Hi Michelle, I have a CGM and had to have 3 MRI's last year. I had to remove it the first time and made sure it wasn't on me the next 2 times. I think it is because there are concerns with metal being in the sensor and the MRI being magnetic. They wouldn't let me take crutches into the room for this reason . It's not the radiography company's fault they are just being safe.

Kim

• 18.  RE: Abbott Libre Sensors

Posted 16-11-2021 11:39
    Hi ! I just sent this to the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists. Maybe someone there can reply with a sensible answer.

"When a diabetic using CGM or FGM devices ( typically Medtronic or Freestyle Libre ) is scheduled for an MRI they are generally required to remove the sensor prior to the MRI.

The requirement appears to be quite ad-hoc and I cannort establish any defined criterion for this requirement.

Who defines which devices need to be removed prior to MRI procedures ?

Are medical stents for cardiac treatment included ? What about hip or knee replacements ?

Surely your document "Standards of Practice for Clinical Radiology, Version 11.2" should be expanded to include a list of medical devices which can be worn during MRI procedures.

The current situation, as I understand it, is that due to the lack of an industry standard each practice has to make up their own list of approved devices.

Surely as a professional organisation you should step up and develop a standard, which is capable of being updated to embrace new devices and technology, and avoid what appears to be an ad-hoc approach.

I await your response."

Paul

• 19.  RE: Abbott Libre Sensors

Posted 17-11-2021 10:59
    How do people (yes Diabetics are actually people :-) ) with pace makers get on?

Bruce B

• 20.  RE: Abbott Libre Sensors

Posted 17-11-2021 12:53
    Hi all,
    Check this site for answers. Also covers CT scans, which are preferred for older devices. I always get asked if I have a pacemaker when I go for one. My brother has a newer one. It is put into Safe Mode and reprogrammed after the MRI. 

Regards
    David

School of Education
    Edith Cowan University
    Joondalup 6027, Perth 
    Western Australia

This e-mail is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose or use the information contained within. If you have received it in error please return it to the sender via reply e-mail and delete any record of it from your system. The information contained within is not the opinion of Edith Cowan University in general and the University accepts no liability for the accuracy of the information provided.

CRICOS IPC 00279B
    RTO PROVIDER 4756

• 21.  RE: Abbott Libre Sensors

Posted 17-11-2021 18:31
    Hi Paul,

I have been told that the heat from some procedures can affect the various glucose monitors. It’s not a ‘who decides’ scenario, the manufacturers need to ensure that we know which procedures will and won’t possibly mess with our monitors. Can be confusing!

Cheers
    Leanne

• 22.  RE: Abbott Libre Sensors

Posted 16-11-2021 11:50
    I had the same thing happen to me last year. I called free style Libre and they sent a replacement 
      Hope it works for you

Linda

• 23.  RE: Abbott Libre Sensors

Posted 16-11-2021 15:12
    Hi everyone, I had to have a brain scan recently and I had just changed my Freestyle Libra sensor that morning. My scan was scheduled for 4.00 pm that day. I had to remove my gold necklace, with my Medicalert necklace, which I accepted. But I then was instructed to remove my sensor, which I had no notice of and I reluctantly did so. I am fortunately receiving sensors free as a 79 year old Type 1 on Age Pension . But I must agree with those who must pay for their sensors that notice should be given that sensors must be removed as their microwave signals  may interfere with the  sensitive MRI scanning devices. This advice could be simply issued with the paperwork provided with the online booking stuff for everyone irrespective of wearing sensors or not. The advice will be non discriminatory then.

Trevor

• 24.  RE: Abbott Libre Sensors

Posted 16-11-2021 17:46

Trevor 

Whilst I agree it is really inconvenient to have to remove a sensor (and I'm self funded) I do feel we need to take responsibility.  

Having managed a dental practice and watched our patient medical histories grow from 1 page to 4 over a period of 16 years due to basically having to 'cover our own backs', I feel  patients do need to take on a little responsibility and speak up and  ask questions.  I've had nurses in hospital ask me if I'm giving up smoking due to the patch covering my CGM sensor in my arm….. Massive lack of education in the diabetes sector.    

In the meantime, until it does become one of the important things they ask, us diabetics will just keep going and face disappointment along the way.  

Medtronic were brilliant with me, new one in the post the following day.  

Trevor I hope you are well and your brain scan was clear. 

😃J

Jane

• 25.  RE: Abbott Libre Sensors

Posted 16-11-2021 17:24
    Hi Michelle

A couple of years ago I ended up in hospital with influenza A and pneumonia. I was given a CT scan and nobody said I should remove my Libre sensor and I was pretty sick so not really thinking straight. Of course, the sensor died, but it took me a while to work out because it still showed results although they were way off. I ended up having to have a couple of chest x-rays as well. I wish I had thought of asking for a replacement.

It's not just the Libre that is sensitive to x-rays, I now use Dexcom G6 and it is too, also my T slim pump. At least the pump is easy to disconnect while having the x-ray. I would be wary of any kind of imaging except ultrasound which is OK. 

Another thing to watch out for is airport security. I always ask to have my spare sensors and myself checked separately because I couldn't be sure they didn't use x-rays - I couldn't work it out from the information I was able to find online, apparently some airports do and some don't.

I am booked in for an x-ray tomorrow, so have been using the old finger-prick method since my sensor expired yesterday. I'm looking forward to getting a new sensor connected tomorrow afternoon. As mentioned in previous posts, it's a relief to wake up in the morning and know you're still in the land of the living!

Janine

• 26.  RE: Abbott Libre Sensors

Posted 12 days ago

thanks for this info. i am going for an mri soon so i will be aware and not use it for the days prior. I do not get charged for mine through diabetes australia or else old age. makes a very huge difference.

Janet

• 27.  RE: Abbott Libre Sensors

Posted 12 days ago

Hi Michelle,

I had to have multiple MRI's on a knee years ago and I had to remove the CGM sensor at each MRI.

The reason is that the MRI uses electromagnetic waves. You can't go into or near the MRI machine with anything that has metal in it which unfortunately includes the sensor. Funnily, I was on metal crutches and they didn't even let me take those into the room.

It's annoying but it is for your safety.

You might be able to get a replacement from Abbott if you explain what happened but I'm not sure about this.

Best wishes

Kim

Kim

• 28.  RE: Abbott Libre Sensors

Posted 11 days ago

Hi Kim,

I recently had an MRI and of course had to remove my NDSS supplied sensor.

I had 3 or 4 sensors left from my previous order but since the sensor had been on for less than 1 week  I knew that the NDSS supply would be out of sync.

I rang Abbott and they said a new one would be sent to me.

It arrived by post about 2 weeks later so don't leave it till the last minute

Marvin.

Marvin

• 29.  RE: Abbott Libre Sensors

Posted 12 days ago

If you are Type 1 you should be getting your sensors under the NDSS for free !

Paul

• 30.  RE: Abbott Libre Sensors

Posted 11 days ago

Michelle, I'm not sure why you are paying $91.50 for a Libre 2 sensor.  Unless T1's have other concessions (making them free or about $5), you should only be paying about $15 for each sensor.

Others have recommended calling Abbott for a replacement and I agree with that.  These companies have self-interest in keeping there customers happy. As I understand, if a CGM is replaced by a company for good reason, it does not count to our NDSS quota.

(others have answered the issue about CGM removal etc)

Regards,

Jock

Jock